Join us and receive our monthly newsletter –the best of the blogs, discount codes and competitions.
Post Graduate Diploma in Oncology Massage
3 Day Oncology Massage Course - Post Graduate Diploma in Oncology Massage
2 days massage for cancer patients independent learning
1 day with face-to-face massage for cancer patients (training with a tutor)
2 professional bodies accreditation (FHT and CThA)
Cancer Massage Courses UK
24th September 2018 - Manchester
19th October 2018 - Leeds
20th October 2018 - London
22nd October 2018 - Manchester
21st January 2019 - Manchester
2nd February 2019 - London
20th May 2019 - Manchester
10th June 2019 - London
At Jennifer Young Training School, our oncology massage training shows you how to offer massage for cancer patients in your salon, spa, clinic or rooms.
This 3 day oncology training course is a combination of home study, practical learning with a tutor and the supported completion of case studies.
Day 1 - Pre Course Learning, to be completed at a time of your choice prior to your practical cancer massage day
Your fully referenced, evidence-based 56 page pre-course learning workbook will be sent to you as soon as you confirm your oncology course booking.
You are asked to read and complete the 'massage for cancer patient's' workbook and bring it with you to your face-to-face oncology massage practical day with your tutor.
The cancer massage pre-course learning covers the following:
- The biology of cancer
- Main treatments for cancer and their side-effects
- The biological mechanisms underlying the common side-effects of treatment for cancer
- The ways in which the main treatments for cancer impact the disease and what can go wrong
- The skincare and well-being products that are suitable when working with cancer patients
- The natural and organic ingredients that may cause harm when used on those living with and beyond cancer
- Beneficial ingredients in natural and organic skincare for cancer patients
- Scalp care for cancer patients – you are likely to meet clients affected by cancer who are experiencing temporary hair loss
Day 2 Practical face-to face learning day with the tutor (venues available throughout the UK)
After welcomes, introductions and venue familiarisation the group will cover any concerns arising from the pre-course learning. Delegates are encouraged to ask questions about any matters relating to massage for cancer patients or the wider field of oncology.
After the opening session when any and all issues can be discussed you will be given your fully referenced, evidence-based 50 page practical workbook.
The cancer massage workbook is designed to take all learning styles into account and is accessible to all. Accelerated learning techniques are used as standard during oncology courses with the Jennifer Young Training School.
You will cover:
- Evidence to support the many well-proven benefits of massage for cancer patients. All of the references underpinning this knowledge are included in your workbook, allowing you to conduct further detailed research in any areas of particular interest.
- The ways in which touch can be adapted to enable you to welcome all to enjoy your massage for cancer patients, no matter what their condition or concerns
- The main contraindications to touch for those living with and beyond cancer
- Emotional impact of diagnosis and treatment
- Personal impact of a cancer diagnosis
- The language of cancer, its treatment and how to welcome your client
- The hygiene standards required when working with cancer patients and how these differ from the standard taught during our entry level qualifications
- Ways in which therapists can look after themselves as well as others, emotionally and physically
- The products (massage oils, skincare and essential oil blends) that can be used
- Physical adaptations and procedural adaptations are both covered
- Seated oncology massage
- Clothed oncology massage
- Caner massage through towels
- Oncology massage in a clinical setting
- The language to use when liaising with an oncology healthcare team
- The consent process
- The requirements of the laws in place to protect the client and the therapist
- The simple steps that can be taken to ensure compliance with relevant legislation
- Mindful consultation and record keeping
- A safe and effective oncology massage routine that can be adapted to be offered to all, no matter what their condition or concern
- Individual adaptations to the oncology massage routine
- Adaptation decision making
- How to make a client comfortable
- Home care
- Standardised and recognised methods of collecting data to prove the effectiveness of your oncology massage therapies
3 massage for cancer patients case studies are required to be submitted and marked before certification. Your case studies have to have been diagnosed with cancer in the past, they do not need to be actively in treatment for cancer but it is fine to work with those who are.
Full support is given throughout the case study process and we will help you to find case studies in your area if you are unable to find some willing volunteers.
You are will be assessed both formally and informally throughout the oncology course. You are required to complete various workbooks and activities during Day 1 and Day 2. You are asked to submit your case studies for marking and you will be given an open book exam workbook which is also to be completed, submitted and marked before we can issue our accredited Post-Graduate Diploma in Oncology Massage.
We offer accredited certification upon successful completion of the oncology massage course
All students are invited to our online learning area for students. This online learning resource is regularly updated and contains new evidence, references and findings. The field of massage for cancer patients is constantly evolving. It is our mission to make sure that you are the best therapist for cancer patients that you can be. We take our responsibilities very seriously and we will share any new learning and development with you. All students are welcome to contact us when we are needed.
BOOK NOW or call us on 0800 999 8518
Please ask if you have any questions.
Cancer Massage Courses UK
Our Oncology Massage course is available at the following venues